Speaking as one who doesn’t like doctors and people poking on me I’ve had to give in to taking care of myself. I’m a single mother of two as well so I’ve always put myself on the back burner but again I’ve had to learn that I have to take care of myself in order to be here for my kids. I have to make sure I’m good mentally, physically, and emotionally. Some people think they can only do one or another and they will be ok. Unfortunately, that is not the case. For example, having untreated anxiety can make you physically ill.
There are different types of self-care.
- Sensory-this can help calm your mind. An example of sensory could be like cuddling under a soft blanket or even holding a pet in your arms. My daughter does this a lot with our cat. Cuddling with kitty….lol
- Emotional-I think a lot of people don’t want to be labeled as having emotional problems because they don’t want to be labeled as “crazy”. But dealing with emotional health is very important. Everyone needs to make sure they are honest about their emotions and don’t try to keep them bottled up. Having emotions are apart of being human. You can do several things to take care of your emotional health such as keeping a daily journal, seeing a therapist, sometimes even motivational or happy music can help.
- Spiritual-some may think this is about religion but no this is spirituality. It’s about getting in touch with what kind of person you are. What are your values and what matters to you? Mediation is a good way to improve spiritual health. Also, I’ve found that saying affirmations every day and letting your creative side out can help. As you can see I love writing my blog, writing stories, and poetry. This brings me peace. You may also be musically inclined.
- Physically-of course this is the first thing everyone thinks of when self-care comes up. You want to stay active with exercise or maybe even yoga. One of the things I use to like to do was Zumba. I haven’t done it in a while but it is a great way of having fun and exercising at the same time. To also stay physically healthy you want to make sure you try to only eat things good for you. Like many other people, I can struggle with this at times but try to make a conscious effort to improve your diet.
- Social-this one has been hard to do in person with Covid-19 this year it is still important to have some kind of social. interaction. Perhaps by having your close family and friends quarantine the same time you do then you all can come together for social events at said person residents. If you’re not comfortable with that then social media may help with FaceTime etc.
- Positive energy-one of the most important things I must say for self-care is to get rid of or distance yourself from people or places that don’t feed you positivity. Good vibes only. Don’t purposely surround yourself with negative vibes.
- Practical-prevent future stress. I good way to help with this I’ve found that doing a budget for bills/expenses helps so you have a clear cut plan. Also keeping everything organized keeps stress down tremendously.
- Intellectual-this is doing something you enjoy that can nourish and challenge your mind
Some people like reading books. You could also learn a new language, do puzzles and crosswords can help with this.
So with all the different ways I’ve named that can help with self-care you should be on the right path with taking care of yourself so you can live your best life. There will always be stress and things you can not control but taking care of yourself in these ways should set you up to overcome and deal with things you are hit with. Remember you can’t take care of anyone else if you don’t take care of yourself so be good to yourself.